Drinking a cup of coffee you’ve roasted yourself is amazingly satisfying. Roasted coffee beans at home are fresher and possess flavor complexities you can never find in commercially made coffees. If you want to learn how to roast coffee at home, hold on as the article discusses the subject for you. We have here the step-by-step process of roasting coffee right at the convenience of your home. If you are worrying about the materials, don’t worry because roasting coffee beans does not necessitate the use of any expensive equipment.
Before roasting, you should initially learn a few things about coffee beans per se. Initially, what you’re about to roast is actually not a bean. It is a seed of the coffea plant (coffee plant). There are several species of this tree-like coffee plant, which naturally grow in tropical climates. This plant grows to have either purple or red cherries. It is only when they are roasted that their color changes into black/brown.
The Roasting Process
There are several ways to roast coffee beans at home. Whichever method you pick to roast the beans, there are many characteristics of the beans you have to bear in mind whenever roasting them. Most of the time, you own preferences will identify when you should stop roasting the coffee beans.
Use Oven to roast Coffee
Using an Oven. Since there is limited airflow, roasting coffee beans with an oven can somewhat lead to unequal roast. Nonetheless, the shortage of airflow can elevate the affluence of flavor as well once the oven is used correctly.
1. Preheat the oven to 232 degree Celsius (450 degree Fahrenheit). As the oven preheats, prepare the pan. For this method, you need to have a baking sheet which has a lot of slots or small holes, at the same time, lip that will keep all the beans inside the pan. Such pan can surely be found at any home gallery stores.
In the event that you do not like to buy a new pan but has an old baking sheet possessing a lip lying around, you can turn this as your roasting sheet. Get your pan and utilize a one eighth inch drill bit to warily drill small holes into the roasting sheet. Such holes must be one half inch away from one another. They should be small too so that no beans will fall through them.
2. Lay the beans on the pan. Pour all the beans onto the pan and make them lie in a single layer over the pan. The beans must be close to each other but should not be overlying. Once the oven is preheated, put the baking sheet together with the beans onto the center rack of the oven.
3. Wait for 15-20 minutes to roast the beans. Listen to a popping or cracking noise. This means that the water in the beans is evaporating. The cracking noise suggests that the beans are indeed roasting and darkening. Stir the beans every after a few minutes to help them get an even roast.
4. Remove the coffee beans from the oven. To let them cool down, place the beans in a metal colander and stir them up. This will cool them down, at the same time, remove their chaff.
Use Pop- Corn Popper to Roast Coffee
Using a Popcorn Popper. Roasting the beans on a stove top can be best done using a popcorn popper. Crank-styled popcorn poppers are the best. They are generally available at kitchen supply stores both off and online.
1. Put the popcorn popper over the stove top. Bring it to an average heat to produce a temperature of around 232 degree Celsius (450 degree Fahrenheit) to the popper. You can use a candy thermometer or deep fryer to check the popper’s temperature. In the event you do not have a popcorn popper and do not like to buy one, you can resort to a large pan or skillet. Make certain it is clean or else the beans may pick up the flavor of whatever was previously cooked in it.
2. Pour the coffee beans. You must merely roast eight ounces of coffee beans. Close the popper’s lid and start rotating the crank handle. Continue this until the beans are evenly roasted. On the other hand, if you are utilizing a skillet or pan, you need to constantly stir it as well. Be careful when using a pan or skillet. There is a great possibility that the beans will burn in these cooking tools.
3. Listen to crackling sound. After around 4 minutes, you will start to hear a crackling noise. This implies that the beans are starting to roast and also starting to generate the coffee aroma which can be really strong. Turn on the hood fan of the oven and open a window to release the smoke. Take note of the time when the beans begin to crackle.
4. Check the color frequency of the beans. Right after the crackling sound is heard, wait a minute and then start to check the beans’ color. Once the beans have acquired the color you desire, place them in a metal colander and constantly stir them until they cool down.
Using an Air Roaster
1. A mechanized air roaster can be really expensive. However, it can extremely be efficient in roasting. This sort of appliance work in similar way that a popcorn popper works, but this roaster provides an even roast to the coffee beans.
2. A hot air roaster. This type of roaster is also known as a fluid bed roaster. It possesses a glass container which permits you to check the beans’ color as they roast, letting you roast them to you preferred hue. To roast beans using this appliance, you simple need to follow the appliance’s roasting manual.
The coffee beans are now roasted. What’s the next thing to do now? Brew the roasted coffee beans utilizing the best coffee maker you have. This will let you taste a perfect cup of coffee. Have a taste and enjoy your own home-made coffee.