Siphon Step By Step Guide
Siphon coffee was invented in the 1840 and produces a delicate, tea-like cup of coffee. A Siphon’s brewing is a combination of immersion and vacuum. It is one of the coolest brew methods available.
HOW TO BREW COFFEE BY USING SIPHON
- Run the cloth filter under hot water to clean it out. If you are using a new filter, run the brew cycle through once, or let it sit in a pot of boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- Place the filter in the top chamber then drop the metal filter chain down the tube at the base of the chamber. Pulling down on the metal chain to make sure that it is hooked to the base of the tube and that the filter is centered in the upper chamber.
- Pre-boil the water on a stove or in an electric kettle. Pour water into the bottom (bulb) chamber and place the top chamber askew on top of the bulb chamber.
- Start the burner and when small bubbles start to appear, seal the top chamber to the bottom by pushing it down in the center until it is snug. The water should begin to rise into the upper chamber shortly after. As the water starts rising, turn down the burner.
- When all the water gets into the top chamber and the burner has been turned down to a low/medium setting, insert a thermometer to check the water temperature. You want the temperature of the water to be between 92° and 96°. Coffee beans will react differently at different temperature levels, so experiment! If you don’t have a thermometer, then give a couple of stirs with a wooden spoon or paddle which should bring the temperature down into that range. At this point you want to make sure there aren’t any large air bubbles coming up through the filter. If there are bubbles, you may have to center the filter with the stirring utensil or turn down the burner a little.
- Measure out coffee and grind it just little bit finer than you would for regular drip coffee.
- Add the coffee and start agitating.
- After 1 minute of total brew time, remove the heat source and give the coffee a final stir as the water starts to draw down back into the lower chamber.
- Remove the hopper and serve. In order to guarantee the most complex cup, give the coffee a few minutes to cool.
TIPS TO CONSIDER:
Siphon coffee comes out very hot so be careful not to burn yourself.
It is a bit complex method for brewing coffee but practice makes things perfect so do not worry if the things doesn’t turn with the same way as you expected.[gap height=”30px”]
TDisclaimer :: THIS BLOG claims no credit for any images posted on this site unless otherwise noted. Images on this blog are copyright to its respectful owners. If there is an image appearing on this blog that belongs to you and do not wish for it appear on this site, please E-mail with a link to said image and it will be promptly removed.
Sorry, comments are closed for this item.